Updated January 2021
We invite families to join our Virtual Open House in January 2021.
The Indigenous Success Team at Burnaby North Secondary provides enhanced programming and services to Indigenous students and their families. Our enhanced services are intended to create pathways to success for each and every Indigenous student within our school.
Indigenous Student and Family Support Programs
School-based services include, but are not limited to:
- Cultural programming and enhancements
- Academic tracking and enhancements
- Access to specialized programming from Indigenous Youth Engagement worker (Lorelei Lyons)
- Access to individualized services from Secondary Indigenous Success Teacher (Mandy Alves)
- One to one services for parents and students
- Special field trips
- Access to specialized scholarship and post-secondary information
- Access to special school based and District events
These services are provided by:
- Mike Bozic is the Indigenous Success Teacher. He is a full time Social Studies and English teacher and works to support our Indigenous students academically. He provides academic support with a focus on enhancing attendance, engagement, and academic standing of our Indigenous learners.
- Lorelei Lyons is the Indigenous Youth Engagement Worker for Burnaby North Secondary, Alpha Secondary, and the elementary family schools known as Brentwood North Zone. She provides culturally-based social, emotional, and personal development support to students and their families.
- Katie Couglin is the Indigenous Enhancement, Curriculum and Instruction contact. She works with classroom teachers around inclusion of Indigenous perspectives into classroom practice and supports teachers by connecting them with resources and skills to implement indigenous perspective respectfully for all learners.
Contact the Team Members
|On Leave for 2021|
work : 604 -296-6875
|Room 5 (Monday, Wednesday, and alternate Fridays)|
|Katie Coughlin||Katie.Coughlin@burnabyschools.ca||District support office.|
For more information on Indigenous Education in Burnaby Schools please visit: https://burnabyschools.ca/indigenouseducation/
If you are interested in becoming part of an Indigenous Parent Committee, please contact Rob Smyth, Principal of Indigenous Education at 604-296-6900 ext: 661019 or Rob.Smyth@burnabyschools.ca