Updated September 2022
The Indigenous Success Team at Burnaby North Secondary provides enhanced programming and services to Indigenous students and their families. Our enhanced services are intended to create pathways to success for each and every Indigenous student within our school.
Indigenous Student and Family Support Programs
School-based services include, but are not limited to:
- Cultural programming and enhancements
- Academic tracking and enhancements
- Access to specialized programming from Indigenous Youth Engagement worker (Lorelei Lyons)
- Access to individualized services from Secondary Indigenous Success Teacher (Mandy Alves)
- One to one services for parents and students
- Special field trips
- Access to specialized scholarship and post-secondary information
- Access to special school based and District events
These services are provided by:
- Katie Coughlin is the Indigenous Success Teacher and is the Indigenous Enhancement, Curriculum, and Instruction contact for the District. She provides academic support with a focus on enhancing attendance, engagement, and academic standing of our Indigenous learners. She works with classroom teachers around inclusion of Indigenous perspectives into classroom teachers around inclusion of Indigenous perspectives into classroom practice and supports teachers by connecting them with resources and skills to implement indigenous perspective respectfully for all learners.
- Lorelei Lyons is the Indigenous Youth Engagement Worker for Burnaby North Secondary, Alpha Secondary, and the elementary family schools known as Brentwood North Zone. She provides culturally-based social, emotional, and personal development support to students and their families.
Contact the Team Members
|Indigenous Room (116) or her office (26A)|
Indigenous Success (blocks 1-5, 7-8)
Indigenous Leadership (block 6)
For more information on Indigenous Education in Burnaby Schools please visit: https://burnabyschools.ca/indigenouseducation/
If you are interested in becoming part of an Indigenous Parent Committee, please contact Rob Smyth, Principal of Indigenous Education at 604-296-6900 ext: 661019 or Rob.Smyth@burnabyschools.ca