UPDATED FEBRUARY 27TH, 2021–See all changes/updates in blue.
ALL GRADUATION EVENTS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE DUE TO HEALTH RESTRICTIONS AROUND COVID-19.
EVENTS WILL BE UPDATED AS INFORMATION COMES AVAILABLE.
Graduation Photos–Dates begin in September
Portrait sessions must be scheduled directly with Artona.
- Individual portrait sessions are available on October 13-15, 2020.
- Group portrait sessions are available from September 13 to November 1, 2020.
- Grad group photo TBA.
Complete information and booking options can be found on the Artona webpage for Burnaby North.
Grade 12 Diploma Verification Records–Early Fall
In September/October the counsellors visit all English 12 classes to have students review their Diploma Verification Records. These forms verify that students are taking the classes they need to fulfill their graduation requirements. Students who are missing credits may need to change their courses to ensure they can graduate this year.
Students who miss the visit to their English class OR are not registered in English 12 at Burnaby North (e.g. taking it online, took it at Summer School) must contact their counsellor ASAP to review their record.
Grad Yearbook Submissions
Grad Write-Ups & Baby Photos in the Yearbook
SUBMIT BY NOVEMBER 18, 2020
All graduates of 2021 are welcome to submit their own message to appear next to their photo in the yearbook. Additionally, graduates can submit a baby photo to be included in the Grad section of the Yearbook. Complete instructions and write-up examples can be found in the submission form.
Congratulatory Ads in the Yearbook
SUBMIT BY MARCH 19, 2021
Order a Congratulatory Ad for your student of the Class of 2021! Download the order form for complete details The .pdf for is now fillable and payment available through School Cash Online for digital/no contact submissions. See examples at right. Note: baby photos and congratulatory ads are not the same thing.
A Spot for You and Your Friend in Yearbook!
SUBMIT BY MARCH 19, 2021
If you are interested in a personalized ad for you and your friends in the yearbook, please contact Gloria Yin or Rita Zhan at email@example.com for information on styles, prices, and other options.
Grad Group / Prom Photo
SUBMIT BY MARCH 19, 2021
Grad Winter Gala–February
SFU Diamond Alumni Centre
THE 2020 WINTER GALA HAS BEEN CANCELLED.
Valedictorian Selection Process
The Valedictorian is a graduating student who speaks to the School Leaving Ceremony audience on behalf of the graduating class. Students must audition for the graduating class which will vote on its representative. Depending on the health requirements in place at the time, one of the following selection processes will be used.
- In-Person Grad Ceremony: Staff and Grade 12 students are invited to attend the Valedictorian election in the North Gym on Wednesday, April 21st . At this time, the candidates will pitch themselves to the graduating class of 2021 this is your opportunity to support your classmates and vote for your ideal candidate! Speeches will begin promptly at 8:40am, after which Grads will have the opportunity to vote for their Valedictorian 2021!
- Virtual Grad Ceremony: Students will email their valedictorian speech to Ms. M. Smith by 3 pm on Wednesday April 21 Once short listed students will be asked to upload a video of their speech. Grade 12 students will be sent the videos and they will vote on the winner.
Grad Ensemble Selection Process
The Grad Ensemble is a group of Grade 12 students who come together to perform a musical selection at the School Leaving Ceremony. Groups must audition. If Ceremony is in-person, the ensemble will be performing live at Bill Copeland arena. If the Ceremony is virtual the ensemble will be asked to go to a studio and tape the performance.
Grad Day–NEW DATE–May 26, 2021
GRAD DAY EVENTS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE IF RESTRICTIONS DUE TO COVID-19 ARE STILL IN PLACE
Grad Day is a day of scheduled events for Grade 12 students. It begins before school with the optional Grad Breakfast and continues all day. Students will be in Assembly (required) all morning and have the option of attending Grad Bowling in the afternoon. Tickets for the breakfast and bowling events are available for separate purchase from the Grad Committee; see the student bulletin for details.
North Cafeteria Courtyard @ School
Menu: Bacon, Sausages, Pancakes, Fruit, Coffee/Tea/Juice
Teachers graciously volunteer to cook, clean and serve the graduating students
Students are not permitted to be on school grounds prior to the event
Ticket and school I.D. card must be presented at the door
Grad Assembly/Ceremony Rehearsal/Gown Distribution–AM period
The day will begin with a Guest Speaker. This will be followed by the assembly, which will include rehearsal and gown distribution during blocks 1 and 2. All students who are attending the school leaving ceremonies must attend the assembly. Students will be called down to the North Gym.
Please take all family photos in your gowns before arriving at Bill Copeland Arena for the School Leaving Ceremony. There will be no time to take pictures at the Bill Copeland Arena on the day of the ceremony.
Revs: The Bowling Centre (5502 Lougheed Hwy, Burnaby)
Grad Bowling is also a school sanctioned event. Teacher/administrator supervisors will be present.
- Students will sign up their teams prior to the event.
- Ticket and school I.D. card must be presented.
- Door prizes and awards for best bowlers will be given out.
School Leaving Ceremony Details
SCHOOL LEAVING CEREMONY HAS BEEN ALTERED AS NOTED BELOW IN BLUE:
The school district has settled on two events very similar to what we did last year.
- Virtual Grad (This is standard for each high school in Burnaby)
- This event will be filmed in a private studio and made available to our grads on the evening on June 29th as a link on our school website. This video will include a message from a school trustee, indigenous elder, our superintendent, our principal, a staff member, and the class valedictorian.
- School Walk Through Event (This event will be unique in each school)
- This event will take place in our school gym on June 29th from 9 am to 3 pm.
- Students will be asked to sign-up for this and then student council will organize them in 25 groups of 15 students.
- We will try our best to have students with their closest friends.
- Each group will be allocated a time slot throughout the day.
- Last year we allowed two guests for each one of our students to come in person as well.
- Students and families were lined up outside, socially distanced waiting for their turn to walk across the stage.
- Students will then walk across the stage with cap and gown and receive their graduation composite and we will announce any scholarship and awards they might have won.
- Once they walk of the stage, we will have Artona waiting at the bottom of the stage to take individual or family pictures with the graduates.
- This will also be live steamed so family members who cannot make it can watch.
- Health guidelines will guide how many people we will be allowed to have in the Gym at one time, so things are subject to change.
2pm, Saturday, May 29th at Bill Copeland Centre (3676 Kensington Ave, Burnaby, BC V5B 4Z6) CANCELLED Grads should plan to arrive at the Centre by 6:00 pm as the organisers need to prepare them for the ceremony. Students wishing to take photos in their cap & gown should do so before 5:30pm the day of the ceremony. Caps/gowns will be made available for pickup the day of the Grad Assembly (check the calendar; at least one day in advance of the ceremony). Each graduate will receive 2 guest tickets to the event. Extra tickets may be purchased for $5 from the school beginning Monday, May 13th (students must present their GoCard for purchase).
Graduation Dinner/Dance Details
DINNER DANCE HAS BEEN CANCELLED.
6pm, Friday, June 18th, Westin Bayshore
6 pm Arrival (Check-in, Family* greetings/photos) 6:45pm Family visiting ends 7 pm Buffet Dinner Dancing to follow until 11pm
*As the fire regulations in the facility limit the number of guests that can be accommodated, we would ask that a maximum of two parents/guardians attend from 6pm to 7 pm.
Dry After Grad
DRY GRAD HAS BEEN CANCELLED.
Immediately After the Dinner/Dance, Midnight-4:00am Saturday, June 19th The Dry Grad Event will follow the Graduation Dinner Dance. Tickets must be purchased separately. NOTE: Transportation will be provided for students from the Dinner/Dance venue to the Dry After Grad venue. Parents/Guardians are responsible for student transportation at the end of the event.
Dry Grad Committee Volunteers Needed If you are interested in being part of our Parent Dry Grad Planning Committee, please email firstname.lastname@example.org