UPDATED MARCH 8TH, 2021–See all changes/updates in blue.
ALL GRADUATION EVENTS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE DUE TO HEALTH RESTRICTIONS AROUND COVID-19.
EVENTS WILL BE UPDATED AS INFORMATION COMES AVAILABLE.
Graduation Photos–Dates begin in September
Portrait sessions must be scheduled directly with Artona.
- Individual portrait sessions are available on October 13-15, 2020.
- Group portrait sessions are available from September 13 to November 1, 2020.
- Grad group photo TBA.
Complete information and booking options can be found on the Artona webpage for Burnaby North.
Grade 12 Diploma Verification Records–Early Fall
In September/October the counsellors visit all English 12 classes to have students review their Diploma Verification Records. These forms verify that students are taking the classes they need to fulfill their graduation requirements. Students who are missing credits may need to change their courses to ensure they can graduate this year.
Students who miss the visit to their English class OR are not registered in English 12 at Burnaby North (e.g. taking it online, took it at Summer School) must contact their counsellor ASAP to review their record.
Grad Yearbook Submissions
Grad Write-Ups & Baby Photos in the Yearbook
SUBMIT BY NOVEMBER 18, 2020
All graduates of 2021 are welcome to submit their own message to appear next to their photo in the yearbook. Additionally, graduates can submit a baby photo to be included in the Grad section of the Yearbook. Complete instructions and write-up examples can be found in the submission form.
Congratulatory Ads in the Yearbook
SUBMIT BY MARCH 19, 2021
Order a Congratulatory Ad for your student of the Class of 2021! Download the order form for complete details The .pdf for is now fillable and payment available through School Cash Online for digital/no contact submissions. See examples at right. Note: baby photos and congratulatory ads are not the same thing.
A Spot for You and Your Friend in Yearbook!
SUBMIT BY MARCH 19, 2021
If you are interested in a personalized ad for you and your friends in the yearbook, please contact Gloria Yin or Rita Zhan at email@example.com for information on styles, prices, and other options.
Grad Group / Prom Photo
SUBMIT BY MARCH 19, 2021
Grad Winter Gala–February
SFU Diamond Alumni Centre
THE 2020 WINTER GALA HAS BEEN CANCELLED.
Valedictorian Selection Process
The Valedictorian is a graduating student who speaks to the School Leaving Ceremony audience on behalf of the graduating class. Students must audition for the graduating class which will vote on its representative. Depending on the health requirements in place at the time, one of the following selection processes will be used.
- Virtual Grad Ceremony: Students will email their valedictorian speech to Ms. M. Smith by 3 pm on Wednesday April 21 Once short listed students will be asked to upload a video of their speech. Grade 12 students will be sent the videos and they will vote on the winner.
Grad Ensemble Selection Process
The Grad Ensemble is a group of Grade 12 students who come together to perform a musical selection at the School Leaving Ceremony. Groups must audition. If Ceremony is in-person, the ensemble will be performing live at Bill Copeland arena. If the Ceremony is virtual the ensemble will be asked to go to a studio and tape the performance.
Grad Breakfast–CANCELLED IN 2021
Grad Assembly/Ceremony Rehearsal/Gown Distribution–AM period
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the assembly cannot occur in person. The assembly may occur virtually (TBD).
Cap and Gowns will be made available for pick-up on Wednesday June 16th in the cafeteria from 11:30-13:00. Students will be allocated pick-up times based on alpha. Appointment times TBA.
Grad Bowling–CANCELLED IN 2021
School Leaving Ceremony Details
2021 SCHOOL LEAVING CEREMONY HAS BEEN ALTERED AS NOTED BELOW IN BLUE:
The school district has settled on two events very similar to what we did last year.
- Virtual Grad (This is standard for each high school in Burnaby)
- This event will be filmed in a private studio and made available to our grads on the evening on June 29th as a link on our school website. This video will include a message from a school trustee, indigenous elder, our superintendent, our principal, a staff member, and the class valedictorian.
- School Walk Through Event (This event will be unique in each school)
- This event will take place in our school gym on June 29th from 9 am to 3 pm.
- Students will be asked to sign-up for this and then student council will organize them in 25 groups of 15 students.
- We will try our best to have students with their closest friends.
- Each group will be allocated a time slot throughout the day.
- Last year we allowed two guests for each one of our students to come in person as well.
- Students and families were lined up outside, socially distanced waiting for their turn to walk across the stage.
- Students will then walk across the stage with cap and gown and receive their graduation composite and we will announce any scholarship and awards they might have won.
- Once they walk of the stage, we will have Artona waiting at the bottom of the stage to take individual or family pictures with the graduates.
- This will also be live steamed so family members who cannot make it can watch.
- Health guidelines will guide how many people we will be allowed to have in the Gym at one time, so things are subject to change.
Graduation Dinner/Dance Details
DINNER DANCE HAS BEEN CANCELLED IN 2021 DUE TO COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS.
Dry After Grad
DRY GRAD HAS BEEN CANCELLED IN 2021 DUE TO COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS.