École Alpha Secondary School, Large Gym
6-8pm, Tuesday, Oct 23rd, 2018
Alpha Secondary School is hosting a parent presentation on “Anxiety and Building Resiliency in our Children” on Oct 23rd at 6pm (see attached). The session is open to parents at Alpha, Burnaby North and local elementary schools.
Anxiety and resiliency are the most common mental health concerns among children, adolescents and adults. This session is a great opportunity for parents to explore ways to support their children in understanding anxiety, developing strategies and building resiliency
Presenter: Dr. Linda Uyeda
What is science telling us about our children and ourselves?
In this presentation, participants will learn about:
- The biology of stress, Anxiety
- Attachment Theory – Why does it matter?
- Activating secure attachments with our children
- What are the Adverse Childhood Events (ACEs) Studies telling us?
- What can we do for our children, starting today, as parents, and caring adults?
So Now What?
- There is a lot we can do as parents
- What makes us, and our children, resilient?
- What do I need to know to make a change?
- Undoing anxiety
7:30-8:00 pm Q & A Session
About Dr. Linda Uyeda
• MD, CCFP University of British Columbia
• Fraser Health Authority Youth Clinic Physician
• Forensic Psychiatric Hospital Family Physician
• Guest speaker – Doctors of BC PSP Adult and Child Mental Health
• Mental Health and Parenting Educator: myumwelt.ca
Angela Basran – Student Services Department Head, Ecole Alpha Secondary School 604-296-6865