UPDATED June 11–NEW cohort schedule for June 15-19
We are adjusting the schedule for the last week of instruction to maximize the time students will be able to meet with teachers on site. The new schedule (below) combines the previous four cohorts into two new cohorts.
- Cohort A – Last Names A – Lewis
- Cohort B – Li – Z
Students can continue to make individual appointments with teachers outside of the assigned times.
UPDATED June 9: The schedule of teachers/rooms for June 1-19. Please scroll to the bottom of the page.
Please read the following documents about the re-opening of schools
- Letter from Mr. Rawnsley about the June 1 re-opening and schedule info (Info copied below)
- Fraser Health Region’s Letter about the Return to Schools
- Ministry of Education Letter to Families (added May30)
- SD41 Superintendent’s Letter to Families (added May 30)
- SD41 (Burnaby) Parent and Child SAFE STUDY AND WORK PRACTICES FOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS — Includes translations in French, Spanish, Russian, Korean, Farsi, Arabic, Simplified Chinese, Tigrinya of the Daily Health Check that all families are responsible for conducting before they can permit their children to attend school.
Thank you for participating in the survey that was sent out to families on Thursday, May 21. We appreciate you taking the time to convey your intentions for your child(ren) regarding the re-opening of schools beginning June 1. From the responses received, we are currently in the process of ensuring that necessary preparations have been addressed to ensure a safe return for students and staff next week.
The resumption of in-class instruction on a part-time basis will begin the week of June 1. The safety of students and staff remains our number one priority, and measures will be in place to meet the requirements of provincial health and safety guidelines for schools. To accommodate these health and safety measures, including physical distancing, classes will be limited to a small number of students at any one time.
The model being implemented at Burnaby North is unique from the structure in Burnaby’s other secondary schools in order to allow for the demolition of a portion of the South Building. The demolition is a temporary inconvenience that is required to proceed with the construction of the new school. The schedule overlays our existing Flex structure and groups students into new cohorts. Students will sign up for 3 sessions on their assigned day using their Weekly Planner (https://bns.myweeklyplanner.net/).
In-person attendance is optional, and in-school instruction will supplement the remote learning that is continuing to the end of the school year. Students who do not attend in-class will continue to be provided with remote learning opportunities.
The daily schedule for June (shown below) includes a Flex rotation as well as time for appointments with teachers for students to receive additional support. The rotations also include time for teachers to support students with remote learning. Please note that we will be continuously monitoring the number of students in our school and may need to adjust this schedule as we work through our return to optional in-person classes.
Typically, most students will attend classes two half-days per week, with additional opportunities to make appointments to see teachers should they require extra support. Students who are not scheduled to attend a class should not be in the school unless arrangements have been made with a teacher.
Please note that while in-class attendance will be recorded, with the voluntary nature of attending school we will not be reporting to parents/guardians if secondary students are not in attendance for the month of June.
Wednesdays are designated blended learning days and schools will not have in-person instruction for any students with the exception of students with diverse needs whose families have requested this support.
Important Details and Procedures:
- All students will enter the building through the entrance doors next to the Main Office (adjacent to the student parking lot) and will be asked to wash their hands upon entering the building.
- Students will be asked to maintain social distancing as they wait to enter the building. To
facilitate this and avoid grouping we are asking that students arrive no earlier than 8:30am.
- Students will be assigned seats in each classroom to maximize social distancing and support
- Students will not have access to their lockers. Information will come out in the coming weeks
regarding locker cleanout, textbook return, yearbook pickup and year-end recognition.
- Students opting to participate are required to attend all 3 Flex sessions in a day and are asked to
leave campus at the conclusion of their assigned schedule to allow for cleaning.
- Students are asked to bring all food and beverage/water needed to sustain themselves as
cafeteria services, vending machines and water stations will not be available.
- Outstanding library books can be returned to the Gallery at the beginning and end of each
We look forward to welcoming your children back to school and to also continuing to support all students
remotely. Please contact the school should you have any questions. Thank you!
|Dance||Ms. Klim||Ms. Hodanic||PE & VPA|
|101||Ms. Gillard||Ms. Stokes||ELL|
|103||Mr. Gabriel||Ms. Paterson||MATH|
|105||Ms. Manhas||Ms. Nakano||ELL|
|107||Ms. Fisher||Mr. Blackwell||SCIENCE|
|108||Mr. Mehling||Ms. Brovold||SCIENCE|
|109||Ms. Wilson||Mr. McPhee||SCIENCE|
|110||Ms. Shim||Ms. Versteeg||SCIENCE/MATH|
|111||Ms. Bernabei||Mr. Walton||SCIENCE|
|112||Mr. Taylor||Mr. Mawani||SCIENCE|
|116||Ms. Van Der Velden||Ms. Garcia||LANGUAGE|
|202||Ms. Hardjowasito||Ms. Byrne||SOCIALS/ENGLISH|
|203||Mr. Thiessen||Ms. Cowley||SOCIALS/ENGLISH|
|204||Ms. Christofides||Mr. Storch||SOCIALS/ENGLISH|
|205||Ms. Bettles||Ms. Mihic||SOCIALS/ENGLISH|
|206||Ms. Tooley/Mr. Laurita||Ms. Devi (if not in Bridge)||SOCIALS/ENGLISH|
|209||Ms. Joliffe||Mr. Williams||SOCIALS/ENGLISH|
|210||Ms. Alves/Ms. Lyons||Ms. Smith||SOCIALS/ENGLISH|
|211||Mr. Sokugawa||Ms. Yarmie||SOCIALS/ENGLISH|
|212||Ms. Mushens||Ms. Carey||SOCIALS/ENGLISH|
|215||Mr. Magnuson||ADULT ED||APPLIED SKILLS|
|221||Ms. McCutcheon||Ms. Leung||FOODS|
|303||Mr. Rosin||Mr. Ault||MATH|
|305||Ms. Young||Ms. Wong||MATH|
|307||Ms. Lynch||Ms. Drake||MATH|
|310||Mr. Robinson||Ms. Macrea||ART|
|311||Ms. Yee(overflow)||Ms. Lehtonen||ART|
|313||Mr. Seehagen/Mr. Roberts||Mr. Seehagen/Mr. Roberts||ENGLISH|
|314||Ms. Du||Ms. Lu||LANGUAGES|
|315||Mr. Janetka||Mr. Fung||BUSINESS|
|316||Mr. Pepler||Mr. Chan||BUSINESS|
|319||Mr. Chow||BUSINESS/APPLIED SKILLS|
|416||Mr. Watts/Mr. Smith||Ms. Morozov||TECH ED|